23 July 2013

New Horizons

I've completed two of the three classes of my entrelac course for Cowgirl Yarn in Laramie, so I'm pondering my next step. After my last class, I had a short term hankering to teach entrelac, but another idea was in my mind and has only solidified since then: a class on the whole process of making a sweater using the Ann Budd sweater book, part online knit-along, part in class sessions at the crucial junctures. This class will be great for almost everyone: from the person who's pretty new to knitting, to the person who has made sweaters before from pattern but never designed, to the person who's done it all but never mastered getting the right gauge and fit.

I envision three phases:

1. Design and Fit: 2 in-person classes at Cowgirl yarn

  • Design for all using Ann Budd's The Knitter's Handy Book of Sweater Patterns 
  • Get the perfect fit: gauging and swatching
  • Use a favorite yarn or yarns for the desired effect
  • Stitch dictionaries: your new best friend
  • A quick blog lesson: the ins and outs of the online knit-along
2. Knit-along: online with in-person check-in opportunities
  • During the lengthy process of knitting garment pieces, participate in an online knit-along
  • See your classmates' progress on their knit projects
  • Share your own successes and struggles through online posts and pictures
  • Get online advice and see helpful videos and resources from the instructor
  • I'll plan to hold periodic office hours to check-in with participants who need a little in-person help.
3. Finishing: 2 in-person classes
  • Focus on seaming and finishing techniques
  • Learn several blocking techniques to provide the right finish for your project
I've been doodling the project I would complete as part of this class and have come up with a UW Letterman's sweater in brown and gold, just in time for fall. I can't wait.

Here's a picture of the sweater I'd like to make with the class:





No comments: