07 July 2013

Vest Two of My Medieval Knits

After a rather uninspired knitting period, I discovered a book this winter that reignited my love of multicolored stranded knits, called Medieval Inspired Knits and written by Anna-Karin Lundberg. I do wonder if the title didn't translate well from Swedish, as it doesn't convey the amazing projects within, inspired by the roof paintings and motifs found in medieval Swedish churches and cathedrals.

I don't own a single knitted vest, so I picked out three patterns, employing different color knitting techniques. The first, Harkeberga Flowery Vine Vest, interested me for the pretty motif and use of stranded knitting and steeks. As I knit the piece, I had no idea how frightening the actual cutting of the knitting would be. Though I consciously understood the concept of the steek (an extra bit of knitting that is reinforced and cut through to make the openings of a bodice or neck opening), a whole other part of me panicked with sweaty hands and racing heart as I made the cuts. That complete, I was immensely pleased with the resulting garment. 



,




The next project was the one I kept coming back to as I flipped through the book, the Norrsunda Arch Panel Vest. This one has a leaf motif worked in intarsia and a cable running through the color pattern. I got a vigorous start on the project, but in the midst, I started teaching knitting classes at our local yarn store, Cowgirl Yarn. I love this store and the project itself opened the door for me when I mentioned to Lori Kirk, the owner, that I was working in intarsia and she asked if I would be willing to teach the method in the store. Since then, I finished that class and am preparing to teach another next week. I did finally complete the garment today though:




Next up, I'm swatching for vest three, the Norrsunda Saint's Flower Vest.

No comments: